Friday, February 26, 2016

Homesickness - Not what I thought it would be.


"Homesickness is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects."


Okay. So I have been in America for 8 weeks, and what an experience it has been already. I feel like a newborn baby, experiencing things for the first time again.  The difference in weather - and a big difference might I just add, with temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius often, oh and even a snowstorm! - , a (kind of) new language, driving on the other side of the road, meeting at least one new person every day, new food, a new culture, Starbucks :D, a new house, new family, and lastly lots of American accents. 

Wow, I find myself spacing out at least once a day, trying to figure out why I did this, but I know why, and I keep reminding myself of that. 


So, I haven't been blogging for 2 main reasons, I haven't had time to gather a conclusive opinion about whether I like it here, or whether I love it here, (I think it might be the latter.) And also, I have been going through some phases of homesickness, and I didn't want to write a soppy blog-post. And yet, here I am, writing a soppy blog-post. :)


So according to google, when I typed in the word homesickness, it said something about longing for home, and wanting to be in a familiar place again. Turns out even google isn't always right.


In my fist 2 weeks here, I might have been longing for and missing home. Terribly But I knew that was going to happen, no shocker. Different country, different people, different everything. Of course I missed my home, my people, my work and my pets. (Not particularly in that order.)


As the weeks have past, and I have explored more things, and met new people, the definition of homesickness as a word, changed for me. I love being an Au pair here.  This experience has already been engraved in my heart, and I am so proud of myself for doing this. I have visited so many beautiful places already (watch this space for more of my travelling stories and trip pictures!)


Homesickness changes because I have realized that I do not miss home. I mean the literal meaning of home. I mean yes, would I like to have a cup of rooibos tea in my room watching Friends? Sure. Would I like to be in Mugg&Bean in Clearwater mall, having lunch with my bestie? Definitely. Would I like to soak up some sun and have great conversation with my Spiritual family? YES!! But, I like where I am now, and I am enjoying almost every single minute of being here, and marinating in the new-ness of everything.


I have a point.

I have come to realize that homesickness to me, means not being able to share the best time of my life, with my people.
Like being able to show my dad the awesome running and biking trials meters away from where I live, or going shopping in DC with my mom. I wish I could share the awesome nightlife in DC with my brother, and the amazing museums with my friends. I feel like I am missing out on sharing what feels like the greatest experience of my life, with those back at home.

So in essence, homesickness, to me, is I wish you were here with me sickness.


This picture describes my mood and feeling perfectly. - Thanks google :)

Thank goodness for Skype sessions, Whatsapp call, and Instgram. 


If you are back home in my beautiful country, know that I miss our Culture, our sunshine, Afrikaans and quality time with my people.Oh, and if you are planning on sending me something, please send me a stukkie braaivleis!! ;)






2 comments:

  1. So proud of you for spreading those wings even tho there must be moments of panic...Continue to soak up all the new experiences and know that you are loved and missed by all your friends back home.. but I am convinced and I am sure anyone who is lucky enough to know you, knows that your loving personality, your deep faith and your joy in life will ensure a fullfilling and exciting journey... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God i really love it... it is amazing because i feel the same way that you.... "I feel like I am missing out on sharing what feels like the greatest experience of my life, with those back at home" is exactly that... and also there are some times that i really want to come back to my home country and some times i forget how i am making these but i know why ... and that is why i am here because i know is not easy but i know i am brave and i can do it and it will.make me grow up!! Jessy miiranda

    ReplyDelete